Friday, December 31, 2004

Year End Thoughts

Hello everyone. I know I have not been posting much since the election, but, as I said, I will be posting new info now and then about the politics here in the Commonwealth.

As 2004 draws to a close, I sit here reflecting on what has taken place over the past 12 months and it has been quite a year. We have seen the Democrats go from a pack of primary candidates to their challenger for the White House. As I remember, at this time last year, Howard Dean appeared to be well on his way to a Presidential Run. He had the money and the apparent momentum to carry through to the convention. Well, how things changed for him, and quickly. John Kerry at this time was borrowing money against his home to continue his run and appeared to be in last place. By the end of January 2004, this all "flip-flopped" and a new course was set.

We watched a bitter campaign season over several months. Living here in Massachusetts, what I heard from people was how the bitterness came from the Bush camp. What I saw was very different, right down to Dan Rather reporting a story based upon false documents, in spite of the fact he was told that they could be. We heard how the Swift Boat Veterans were really just an extension of the Bush campaign and that the whole matter should be investigated as a potentially illegal campaign contribution. What we weren't hearing was how MoveOn.org and other, similar organizations were in the same boat. Of course, the Swift Boat Veterans did not endorse a specific candidate, MoveOn.org did. Oh well, better luck next time.

I knew the election was going to be close. I knew it would be a late night. I planned to take November 3, as a vacation day. I was surprised, however, that the winner was not declared until the 3rd. I will grant John Kerry this, I applaud his not making the country go through what Al Gore did in 2000 by dragging this on in court for weeks.

This past year, we laid to rest a former President. A man who was villianized during the 1990's by the media and the Clinton administration. In death, he was praised by both. Of course, there were those who felt betrayed by the media and many Democrats for their kind words of Reagan in his death. These are people who, apparently, do not believe in saying only nice things about the dead or saying nothing at all.

Reagan was remembered for the many wonderful deeds he accomplished during his 8 years, as well he should be. Yes, there were some negative things during those years. Did the good outweigh the bad? I think so. The world is a better and safer place for Regan's Presidency. I felt a tremendous loss in his passing and I know I was not alone.

As we enter into the new year, we have much to look forward to; George W. Bush's 2nd inauguration, elections in Iraq, work toward correcting the long term problems of Social Security, and perhaps even changes to our tax code.

I wish everyone who reads this a happy and healthy New Year!


3 Comments:

Blogger mauricewashington3580 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

7:19 PM  
Blogger lucygilbert9364 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

10:37 AM  
Blogger morisdenton71829121 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home